What is Python
- Python is a high-level programming language used for general-purpose programming.
- It was created by Guido van Rossum and was first released in 1991.
- Python easily blends together procedural, functional and object-oriented paradigms.
- Python is also used for scripting and Python programs are also referred to as 'scripts'.
- An interesting fact about the Python is that it's name is derived from a TV series named Monty Python's Flying Circus.
Why should you use Python
The primary reasons for using Python are:
- Software Quality - Python code is designed to be readable, and hence reusable and maintainable which sets it apart from other scripting languages.
- Developer Productivity - Python code is typically one-third to one-fifth the size of a typical C or Java code. That means there is less to type, less to debug and also less to maintain.
- Program Portability - Python programs run unchanged on all major computer platforms.
- Support Libraries - Python comes with a large section of prebuilt and portable functionality, also known as the "Standard Library".
- Component Integration - Python codes can easily communicate with other parts of the aplication and can integrate with other major programming languages like C,C++, Java as well.
Where is Python used
The general Python user-base includes the following:
- Google uses Python in its web search systems.
- Youtube is largely written in Python.
- Dropbox uses Python for its client-side as well as server-side codes.
- Companies like Intel, Hewlett-Packard, Seagate, Qualcomm and IBM use Python for hardware testing.
- NSA uses python for cryptography and intelligence analysis.
And so on - the list is endless.
What can be done using Python
- Python can be used for writing portable as well as maintainable system administration tools and utilities.
- Python can be used for performing various networking tasks in both client and server modes.
- Python can be used for Database programming and it has interfaces for commonly used database systems like MySQL, Oracle, Sybase, SQLite, Informix etc.
- Python can be used for Game and Multimedia programming.
- Python can also be used for Natural Language Processing and Machine Learning.
And there are numerous other fields in which Python can be used.