Why Big-Data? And Why it is important?
Big-Data comes into picture to overcome the problem of relational databases(RDBMS). Problem with RDBMS:
- RDBMS deals mainly with structured data
- 20% corporate data is structured and 80% is semi-structured or mostly unstructured
- Predefined database schema and data type makes it harder to adapt to new data formats
- RDBMS horizontal scaling is complex and expensive.
Power of Big-Data
- Deals with structured ,semi-structured and unstructured data
- It is built on horizontal scaling architecture
The use of Big Data is becoming a crucial way for leading companies to outperform their peers. In most industries, established competitors and new entrants alike will leverage data-driven strategies to innovate, compete, and capture value. Big Data will help to create new growth opportunities and entirely new categories of companies, such as those that aggregate and analyse industry data. Many of these will be companies that sit in the middle of large information flows where data about products and services, buyers and suppliers, consumer preferences and intent can be captured and analysed.
Characteristics Of Big Data
A Big Data platform should give a solution which is designed specifically with the needs of the enterprise in the mind. The following are the basic features of a Big Data offering-
- Comprehensive – It should offer a broad platform and address all three dimensions of the Big Data challenge -Volume, Variety and Velocity.
- Enterprise-ready – It should include the performance, security, usability and reliability features.
- Integrated – It should simplify and accelerates the introduction of Big Data technology to enterprise. It should enable integration with information supply chain including databases, data warehouses and business intelligence applications.
- Open source based – It should be open source technology with the enterprise-class functionality and integration.
- Low latency reads and updates
- Robust and fault-tolerant
- Allows adhoc queries
- Minimal maintenance